× Home Vancouver to Castle Rock Castle Rock to Centralia Centralia to Olympia Olympia to Tacoma Tacoma to Seattle Seattle to Everett Everett to Mt Vernon Mt Vernon to Bellingham Bellingham to Blaine Credits

The Historic Pacific Highway
in Washington

Main Menu

Old Hwy 99 at Grand Mound

Grand Mound was founded in 1851. In 1854 stage service arrived as Grand Mound was on the old pioneer road from Cowlitz Landing to Tumwater. In 1913, the Washington State School for Girls (also known as the State Training School for Girls) was created, and it opened at Ground Mound on 70 acres in 1914. The school was renamed to Maple Lane School in 1959, and closed in 2011.

In the 1920s strawberries became a major crop in the area, and a processing plant was built, but during the Great Depression the industry failed and the Northern Pacific Railway closed the Grand Mound station. 

By 1941 the population of the area had grown to about 200 people and the community had a post office along with a store and a single gas station. 

In 1964, the Grand Mound Fire District was formed, which in 2002 merged with Thurston County Fire District #1 before merging into the West Thurston Regional Fire Authority. The community became a census-designated place in 1990. 

A new fire station was built to serve Grand Mound in 2007. In March 2008, a 398-room Great Wolf Lodge opened in Grand Mound, which was majority owned by the Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis Reservation.

There are several historical markers that can be found in Grand Mound. A historical marker on 198th Ave. commemorates a successful attempt by the townswomen of Grand Mound to vote in Washington territorial elections. 

Just south of Grand Mound, on Old Highway 99, is an Oregon Trail marker, established in 1916 by the Daughters and Sons of the American Revolution. A monument across from Grand Mound Cemetery marks the former location of Ft. Henness, a stockade built and occupied during the Puget Sound War of 1855-56.

2011 map showing the 1922 alignment. (red line)

2011 sat map

1911 map showing the original alignment which is now Ivan Way. 

Looking northeast

 


©2014 - 2017 pacific-hwy.net
All Rights Reserved