× Home Vancouver to Castle Rock Castle Rock to Centralia Centralia to Olympia Olympia to Tacoma Tacoma to Seattle Seattle to Everett Everett to Mt Vernon Mt Vernon to Bellingham Bellingham to Blaine Credits

The Historic Pacific Highway
in Washington

Main Menu

Stanwood

Stanwood was first known as Centerville. It was a small trading post located on South Pass of the Stillaguamish River. To better position itself to garner trade coming in from West Pass, Centerville was moved to its present location along the waterfront of the Stillaguamish River. 

A wharf was built along with businesses that lined the waterfront to supply the needs of the citizens of the area. D. O. Pearson came to Centerville in 1879 and constructed a mercantile store on the waterfront. 

He became Centerville’s seventh postmaster and changed the name of the town, at the request of the U. S. Government, to Stanwood in honor of his wife’s maiden name, Clara Stanwood Pearson.

2011 map

Looking northwest

Looking west

Looking west

 


©2014 - 2017 pacific-hwy.net
All Rights Reserved