The Historic Pacific Highway
☰ Main Menu
The Original 1915 Route
Leaving Seattle the Old Hwy traveled North on 4th Ave. and turned right onto Stewart St. and continued Northeast to Eastlake Ave. E. Then continued North on Eastlake Ave. E. to Lakeview Ave. E. Turned right on Lakeview and continued Northeast to Boylston Ave. (the freeway has severed this connection) then continued North on Boylston and then crossed Lake Union. The old bridge is long gone.
The road went due North after crossing the bridge to NE 40th. and turned right. The Hwy then continued East on NE 40th St. and turned left onto 14th Ave. and continued North on 14th Ave to NE Ravenna Blvd. then turned left and then right onto Brooklyn Ave.
The road then Continued North on Brooklyn to NE 65th St. and turned right and continued East to Ravenna Ave. NE. The road then went North on Ravenna Ave. NE and then turned right onto NE 110th St.
The road then turned left onto 35th Ave. NE. and continued North on 35th Ave. NE to Erickson Pl. NE veered to the left on Erickson and continued on to Hwy 522 / Bothell Way.
The road continued on Hwy 522 all the way into Bothell. In Bothell the Hwy turned left and continued on Bothell Way NE / Hwy 527 and went North as it turns into the Bothell Everett Hwy / Hwy 527. The old road continued North as Hwy 527 turns into 19th Ave. SE and continues North around Silver Lake until it meets the freeway.
Before the freeway was built, the old road continued North where it meets up with Beverly Blvd. and went North till Beverly Blvd. connects with Colby Ave.
The Hwy turned left onto Colby Ave. and went North into Everett.
Alignments and Alternates to the Route
In 1901 an alternate route to Everett from Seattle was via the North Trunk Road. This road was also called the R. F. Morrow Road. which later became Aurora Ave. The North Trunk Road started out on Westlake Ave. to Fremont Ave. then North on Fremont to 50th then left on 50th.
Then to Phinney Ave. then North as it turns into Greenwood Ave. then it continued North on Greenwood to 85th turned right on 85th then East to Aurora Ave. The North Trunk Road then continued North to N. 185th St and veered to the left on Firlands Way N. then continued North on Firlands Way then back to Aurora Ave just past N. 195th.
It then it continued North to 212th St. SW. Then it turned right and continued East on 212th to 76th Ave. W. then turned left and continued North on 76th to 196th St SW. Then turned right onto 196th and continued East to 36th Ave. W.
The road then turned left onto 36th and continued North to 164th St. SW. Then it turned right onto 164h and continued East to the Pacific Hwy at Mill Creek. and then North via the Pacific Hwy to Everett.
In the mid 1910s another alternate route to Everett was via Greenwood Ave. Through Edmonds. The 1915 Automobile Red Book billed this as a scenic alternate route. The route took Westlake Ave. to Fremont Ave. then North on Fremont to 50th then left on 50th to Phinney Ave. to Greenwood Ave.
Then it continued North on Greenwood as it turns into Carlyle Hall Rd. then veered right onto NW 172nd St. 172nd connects to Dayton Ave. and the route continued North to Richmond Beach Rd. veered to the left on Richmond and continued West as it turns into NW 195th St. The route turned right onto 200th Ave SW. and continued North and turned left onto 238th St. SW.
Then went West and turned right on 114th Ave W. then continued North as it turns into Woodway Park Rd. The route continues North on Woodway as it turns into 3rd Ave S. and then turns right onto Walnut St. (This part of the route was called The North Trunk Road Cutoff) Then it goes East as it turns into Bowdoin Way and continues East as it becomes 212 St. SW.
The route now follows the Old North Trunk Road route to the Pacific Hwy. The road continued East on 212th to 76th Ave. W. then turned left and continued North on 76th to 196th St SW.
Then turned right onto 196th and continued East to 36th Ave. W. The road then turned left onto 36th and continued North to 164th St. SW. Then it turned right onto 164h and continued East to the Pacific Hwy at Mill Creek. and then North via the Pacific Hwy to Everett.
In the early 1920s in downtown Seattle the Hwy used Olive Way to Howell St. as the Eastbound lanes up to Eastlake Ave. And Stewart St. became the Westbound lanes.
In the early 1920s in downtown Seattle the Hwy continued on Eastlake Ave. E across the University Bridge and connected to Roosevelt Way and continued North to Lake City Way. then the Hwy continued on Lake City Way to Bothell Way.
From 1926 to 1932 in downtown Seattle the Hwy was rerouted temporarily while the Aurora Bridge was being built from 7th Ave. to Dexter Ave. and then went North to Fremont Ave. It then turned right onto 50th St. the took a left back onto Aurora Ave.
In 1932 the Aurora Ave. Bridge was completed and the Hwy took 7th Ave to Aurora Ave. and continued North on Aurora Ave. as it turns into Evergreen Way and then to Rucker Ave. and into Everett.
In 1954 the Broadway Cutoff opened at Hwy 99 North of Lynnwood just past SW112th which veers to the right onto Everett Mall Way and continues North on Everett Mall Way where it turns into Broadway and continues North on Broadway into Everett.
In 1956 the Alaskan Way Viaduct was completed and the Hwy took this route through Seattle to connect with Aurora Ave. from the Battery St. tunnel.
©2014 - 2017 pacific-hwy.net
All Rights Reserved