× Home Vancouver to Castle Rock Castle Rock to Centralia Centralia to Olympia Olympia to Tacoma Tacoma to Seattle Seattle to Everett Everett to Mt Vernon Mt Vernon to Bellingham Bellingham to Blaine Credits

The Historic Pacific Highway
in Washington

Main Menu

Peace Arch

Peace Arch History

This massive portal was built to commemorate 100 years (1814 – 1914) of open border between the United States and Canada. Today it is an international symbol of peace.

When the Treaty of Ghent was signed in 1814, it marked the end of the War of 1812, between the United States and Great Britain. It defined the boundary separating each country’s territorial interests along the 49th parallel.

In 1817 the Rush Bagot Agreement made provisions to leave the boundary without forts or solders. As a result of these treaties, both countries continue to live in peace and the border remains without fortification, extending across the entire continent of North America .

Construction of the Peace Arch began on July 4th 1920 and was completed 8 months later.

School Children from both countries contributed funds that were used to create the two parks surrounding the arch, one on each side of the border. A portion of the sixty seven foot Peace Arch rests in each country.

2011 map

1925 map

1941 map

Looking north

 


©2014 - 2017 pacific-hwy.net
All Rights Reserved