The Historic Pacific Highway
☰ Main Menu
The site of the City of Ferndale was originally known
to the Lummi Indians as Te-tas-um. Early white settlers called the area
near the Nooksack River the lower crossing. to distinguish it from the
principal crossing of the river at Everson.
Therefore, because he was now an English citizen, Billy Clark was not eligible to claim title to the property. He sought help from an old friend, Darius Rogers, who was employed at the Bellingham Coal Mine.
Rogers promptly filed claim to the 174 acre site,
which made him the first legal owner of the property. Billy Clark
eventually left and built a new homestead at East Sound on Orcas Island.
1886, the Guide Meridian Road was opened, but Whatcom County remained
rustic and isolated until 1893, when the Great Northern built its
railway line across the western part of the County, through Ferndale, to
Blaine, and on to Vancouver, British Columbia.
©2014 - 2017 pacific-hwy.net
All Rights Reserved