× Home Vancouver to Castle Rock Castle Rock to Centralia Centralia to Olympia Olympia to Tacoma Tacoma to Seattle Seattle to Everett Everett to Mt Vernon Mt Vernon to Bellingham Bellingham to Blaine Credits

The Historic Pacific Highway
in Washington

Main Menu

Blanchard

The town was named for George Blanchard, an early homesteader who took up land for logging in 1885. Blanchard was an ideal place for a town. The Chuckanut Mountains were heavily forested with prime timber, while the low-lying deltas south of Blanchard were extremely fertile for farming. 

In the early part of the twentieth century, the population of Blanchard exceeded 1,000. There were stores, saloons, meat markets, a pool hall, barber shop, Methodist Church, and large boarding houses for some workers. 

The Blanchard Logging Company was formed and continued operations until about 1900 when the financier died forcing the sale of some of the company's assets. It was then the Blanchard family left the town for good. 

In 1925 logging activity began to diminish and the town began to die. Then came a new enterprise. The Rock Point Oyster Company. Under the direction of an E. N. Steele, a State Senator, the oyster business flourished in time. The operation stayed in the hands of the Steele family until 1991, when it was sold to Taylor United, Inc. of Shelton, Washington. 

For more information about Blanchard, click here.

2014 map

Pic 1. Looking South

Pic 2. Looking South. The Chapel was built in 1911 For more information about the Chapel click here

Pic 3. Looking North on Legg Rd.

 


©2014 - 2017 pacific-hwy.net
All Rights Reserved